Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Unschooling: A working dad's perspective

With traditional school and homeschooling I missed out my children's education.  When I got done working and made it home, with a traditional 8am-3pm school day, I missed it all.  The math.  The reading.  The geography.  The philosophy.  The science.  The robotics.  The computer programming.  The carpentry.  The human performance studies.  Oh they don't do all that stuff in public school do they?  Anyway, I missed out on the "golden opportunity" to participate in my kids education.

That's when you school children -- when parents are at work; right?  If the kids have been completing worksheets all day, being handed work to do and told what is of interest, they will be more than ready to stop listening to me, and anything I tried to teach, by the time I get home from work.  Last year, when we were more traditional homeschoolers, the kids were not as eager to listen to one of my heartfelt explanations of nuclear fission.

Stop the press!  With unschooling kids aren't overloaded all day.  They are trusted with being inquisitive humans who will stop at nothing to understand the world in which they live.  With that schooling pattern our kids seem to stay open to learning and asking questions all day.  They don't say "No.  I really don't want you to explain that now."  Instead they approach me with questions like "How do you spell screech owl?" or "How can Betelgeuse be as large as our entire solar system!?"

What's most important?

  • The kids are happier (fewer arguments with parents over what to focus on)
  • We're happier (fewer arguments with kids over what to focus on)
  • They're interested and engaged in what they're learning (their interests, us showing our excitement in helping them when they can use it)
Am I sold on unschooling?  Not completely.  We both have our eyes on wether our kids will be able to happen upon an interest in all the things they need to know to succeed in the 21st century.  So far I'm optimistic.  I'm happy with the changes we've experienced so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment