Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Ahhh.... It's been a year

Ok, so it has been a year since my last homeschool blog post. I fell off the wagon. Since then, we have put our old house on the market, bought a new house, rehabbed that house, and moved.

We are still homeschooling, but I bought a curriculum this year because there was an odd amount of stress involved in unschooling my boys. Sure, day to day things were fun and relaxed, but when it came to bi-yearly BOE evaluations, and planning for unschooling (yes, that does occur) I decided that with all the house stuff, my life would be a bunch easier if I bought a curriculum.

I did a bunch of research, and found the Oak Meadow curriculum. It is Waldorf based, and is intended to nurture the "whole" child. My family is on week 16, and it is working for us quite well. My 3rd grader is happy to write a paragraph if he gets to discuss and draw a picture first. I like its structured flexibility. The math is a problem for some families, but I just read what they recommend and make it work for my family. I also appreciate how the 1st and 3rd grades sorta line up so that both are covering things like maps at the same time. I can easily make the lesson adapt to both boys.

I have my BOE review tomorrow, and I am feeling pretty good about it. It feels oddly appropriate that my last blog post was right after last winter's evaluation. Perhaps I can start anew with this post and evaluation.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Raechelle,
    Welcome back to blogging! Glad to hear you and your family are doing well with homeschooling. Looking forward to seeing what you are up to for the new year.

    ReplyDelete